Foreign lecturers invited or hired by a Spanish university to carry out teaching work or other academic work must apply for a residence visa without a work permit.
- They must have been invited or hired for teaching activities by the legal representative of the relevant Spanish university.
- Criminal records clearance in Spain and in other countries of residence in the five years before the application.
- They must not be in an illegal situation in Spain.
1. APPLICATION FOR A RESIDENCE VISA WITHOUT A WORK PERMIT
WHERE: The Spanish consulate in the applicant’s country of residence. Select the Spanish representative office of your place of residence.
DOCUMENTATION (translated into Spanish):
- Application for a national visa. Click here to download the form.
- Two copies of the official application form (EX09), completed and signed by the foreign applicant.
- Passport with a minimum validity of four months and a copy of all the pages.
- Criminal records clearance in the countries of residence in the five years before the application.
- Updated medical certificate.
- Invitation letter or employment contract signed with the university.
- Two photographs.
- Authenticated qualification.
- Proof of teaching experience.
2. VISA COLLECTION
WHERE: The Spanish consulate in the applicant’s country of residence. Select the Spanish office of representation of your place of residence.
3. APPLICATION FOR A RESIDENCE PERMIT WITHOUT A WORK PERMIT
WHERE: Oficina de Extranjería (Provincial Immigration Office). Select the office nearest to your address.
4. APPLICATION FOR A RESIDENCE CARD FOR FOREIGNERS (only for stays of more than six months)
WHERE: Police station. Click here to select the police station nearest to your address.
- Application for a residence card for foreigners. Click here to download the form. For further information on residence cards for foreigners, please go to “Foreigner Identification Number and Residence Card for Foreigners”.
- Copy of the visa and entry stamp.
- Three photographs.
- Official notification of approval.
- Registration of residency: registration of the official address with the local authorities.
- Fees: initial residence card for foreigners (Spanish acronym: TIE) documenting the temporary residence permit.
- Visa from the Spanish consulate: the average estimated time for approval is 10 days.
- Residence permit: the average estimated time for approval is 10 days (this will depend on the province of issue).
- Residence card for foreigners: from 20 to 50 days depending on the area in Spain where it is processed.
Last updated: 09|10|2013