Spain is an outstanding country in terms of quality of life for ex-pats and holds a top position in the rankings worldwide, particularly on indicators like “Experience” or “Family”.
According to HSBC, in terms of quality of life, Spain ranks 2nd or 10th on indicators such as “Experience” or “Family”, respectively, worldwide for expatriates as their preferred destination in Europe.
There are an estimated 470 million Spanish speakers with native competence which places the Spanish language as second in the world by number of native speakers.
The Spanish Education System is open to foreigner and expatriate executives' children. There are public and private Schools with special arrangements and including itinerary and subjects in English - bilingual teaching. In Spain, there are 217 international schools. Almost 72% offer their curriculums in English (UK and US). The following language is French with almost 10%. The Spanish Educational System, including universities, is open to expatriate relatives.
The Spanish Healthcare System is also open to expatriates. Spain ranks 10th in terms of World’s best Healthcare System and 4th in terms of having the longest healthy life expectancy (WCY2016).
Residence and work permits for expatriates
There is no need for a working visa for Citizens of the European Economic Area and Switzerland. These citizens resident in Spain for a period of more than 90 days must register with the Registry of Citizens of the EU-EEA and Switzerland resident in Spain.
The international mobility section of the Entrepreneurial Support Act 1 has introduced a specific framework for highly-qualified non-EU professionals, intra-corporate transferees, researchers, entrepreneurs and investors based on a fast track regime and specialised system for visa and authorisation concessions to attract foreign investment and talent in order to foster economic growth and create jobs. The main benefits of the system are:
• A single authorisation for living and working anywhere in Spain.
• Freedom of movements within the Schengen Member States.
• Fast track: streamlined processing: 10 to 20 days for residence permits.
• Combined processing for family members. Procedures can be arranged through a representative. Applications can be made in Spain if the foreigner is in a regular situation in our country.
Spain has a great quality of life.
• Interesting cultural offer (2nd country in the world in terms of UNESCO World Heritage Sites and 2nd country in Europe in natural areas and natural spaces declared UNESCO Biosphere Reserves).
• First class gastronomy recognised worldwide.
• Open and friendly society to foreign investors and tourists.
• 2nd safest country in the EU.
It is recognised as one of the best places for raising children.
Spain is a very enjoyable country with a rich history and cultural heritage, unique and internationally famous cuisine and a marvelous natural environment with 8,000 km (4,970 miles) of coastline and lovely beaches. Add to all this, an excellent climate. It ranks third as a tourist destination in terms of revenue and number of visitor.
Last updated: 09|01|2018