Other immigration information

EU Long-term residence permit

All foreigners holding an EU long-term residence permit awarded by another member state of the European Union may apply to reside in Spain without having to obtain a visa beforehand.

To do so, the foreign citizen holding the EU long-term residence permit must apply, in person, for an EU long-term residence permit from the diplomatic mission of Spain (if applied for before travelling to Spain) or from the Oficina de Extranjería (Provincial Immigration Office) within 90 days of his or her arrival date in Spain.

If the reason for travelling to Spain is residence not including profit-making activities, the applicant must provide evidence of sufficient financial means for residing in Spain without carrying out profit-making activities.

If the reason is to carry out profit-making activities, he or she must provide the same documentation as that required for residence and work permits (as an investor or hired by a company), except for the requirement concerning the national employment situation allowing for the hiring of the foreigner.

The procedure will end with the processing of a residence card for foreigners within a maximum time limit of 30 days after the EU long-term residence permit has been obtained, which will be valid for five years and will require the foreign citizen to relinquish his or her long-term residence in the member state of the EU in which he or she resided before travelling to Spain.

Similarly, a foreign citizen residing in Spain can apply for an EU long-term residence permit if he or she meets the following requirements:

a) He or she has resided legally and continuously in Spain for five years. The right to obtain this permit will also correspond to foreigners who provide evidence of having resided on a continuous basis in the European Union, as holders of an EU Blue Card, as long as said residents have been in Spain in the two years immediately before the application.

b) Having sufficient regular, fixed means for upkeep and, where applicable, that of his or her family. The means may come from own resources or from employment or professional activities.

c) He or she must have public or private medical insurance with an insurance company authorised to operate in Spain.

Prepared by:

Last updated: 09|10|2013

Contact us
91 503 58 08

Búsqueda de ayudas e incentivos

The best information by region, by sector and daily updated. No registration needed!

Search now

Paseo de la Castellana 278, 2nd Floor 28046 Madrid SPAIN
T (+34) 91 503 5800

Home | Legal warning | Privacy policy | Cookies policy | Site Map | Accessibility

INVEST IN SPAIN - Paseo de la Castellana, 278 - 28046 Madrid

Level Double-A conformance icon, W3C-WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0

2015 ICEX - Invest in Spain