Other immigration information



Foreigners wishing to renew their residence permit, regardless of the classification (residence without work, self-employed worker, employed worker or worker as part of a transnational provision of services), must apply for it in person from the Oficina de Extranjería (Provincial Immigration Office) of their province of residence 60 calendar days before the date of expiry of their residence permit and up to a maximum of 90 days after that date.

They must submit the following documentation with the application:

  • Application form.
  • Original and copy of the passport and residence card for foreigners.
  • Documents that provide evidence of the fact that the reasons why the foreign resident was awarded his or her initial residence permit are still valid.

Submission of the application in the mentioned time limit extends the validity of the previous residence permit until the application has been resolved.

After the renewal application has been submitted, the Oficina de Extranjería (Provincial Immigration Office) has 90 days to resolve the application. If the Oficina de Extranjería does not expressly resolve the application within the time limit of three months after the submission, the resolution will be understood as favourable.

The Oficina de Extranjería (Provincial Immigration Office) will notify the resolution on the renewal by letter, and the holder must apply for the renewal of the residence card for foreigners within one month of the resolution notification date.

The award of the first renewal of a residence permit (except for temporary residence permits and work permits as part of a transnational provision of services) renews the residence for two years. After these two years, the residence is renewed for another two years. After these two years, with a total period of residence in Spain of five years, the resident foreigner may apply for a long-term residence permit.

In the case of temporary residence and work permits as part of a transnational provision of services, an application is submitted for an extension of the initial permit, which extends the initial award for a maximum of one year, except for nationals with whose country Spain has signed a bilateral social security agreement, in which case the temporary residence permit and work permit may be extended for the time limit established in the bilateral agreement.

Study permits for students and researchers who are not paid for their work may be extended on an annual basis.

Prepared by:

Last updated: 10|09|2013

Contact us
91 503 58 08

Búsqueda de ayudas e incentivos

The best information by region, by sector and daily updated. No registration needed!

Search now

Paseo de la Castellana 278, 2nd Floor 28046 Madrid SPAIN
T (+34) 91 503 5800

Home | Legal warning | Privacy policy | Cookies policy | Site Map | Accessibility

INVEST IN SPAIN - Paseo de la Castellana, 278 - 28046 Madrid

Level Double-A conformance icon, W3C-WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0

2015 ICEX - Invest in Spain