Portuguese energy company EDP acquires a substantial stake in Viesgo

The deal is worth 2.7 billion euros, and doubles its distribution business in Spain

The energy group EDP has reached an agreement with the Australian investment fund Macquarie to manage the electrical distribution businesses of Viesgo, Begasa and E-Redes. Macquarie will retain a 24.9% share of the new company while EDP will own the remaining 75.1%, in addition to controlling the assets and assuming the management. This transaction, valued at 2.7 billion euros, will reinforce its presence in Spain and double EDP's distribution business once it has been approved by the regulatory authorities.

The agreement includes all the assets of the Cantabrian company Viesgo, including the three electricity distributors mentioned previously, with over 695,000 supply points, in addition to 0.5 GW of renewable generation and two thermal power plants. EDP will integrate the renewable assets in its EDPR subsidiary and handle the connection rights after the closing of the thermal power stations.